About This Blog

Ludwig von Mises (1881-1973) was the greatest economist of my time. His greatest works can be accessed here at no charge.

Mises believed that property, freedom and peace are and should be the hallmarks of a satisfying and prosperous society. I agree. Mises proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the prospect for general and individual prosperity is maximized, indeed, is only possible, if the principle of private property reigns supreme. What's yours is yours. What's mine is mine. When the line between yours and mine is smudged, the door to conflict opens. Without freedom (individual liberty of action) the principle of private property is neutered and the free market, which is the child of property and freedom and the mother of prosperity and satisfaction, cannot exist. Peace is the goal of a prosperous and satisfying society of free individuals, not peace which is purchased by submission to the enemies of property and freedom, but peace which results from the unyielding defense of these principles against all who challenge them.

In this blog I measure American society against the metrics of property, freedom and peace.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Doris Day (Back By Popular Demand)

I'm Confessin' That I love You 1929 (Music and Lyrics credited variously to Chris Smith, Sterling Grant, Al Neiburg, Doc Daugherty, and Ellis Reynolds. Go figure.

One cannot help watching this video and imagining Doris singing this beautiful tune into your ear. Then again, I truly believe I used to be a World War II fighter pilot flying the mighty Corsair with Pappy Boyington in the Solomons. But now I bet I've said too much.



(Here's my Corsair...well, maybe it's one like the one I flew. I think I was shot down.)

With A Song In My Heart, Music by Richard Rodgers; Lyrics by Lorenz Hart    1929

How can you not fall in love with this lady? Many have and, sadly, most took advantage of her. I hope that's not Marty Melcher lying with her in the video. He was a scoundrel, swindling her out of millions and leaving her in debt. Why do women fall for such men?
(That's Harry James on the trumpet, by the way.) 

Moonglow, Music by Will Hudson and Irving Mills; Lyrics by Eddie DeLange   1933

Melcher appears in this video too often for my tastes. However, Moonglow is one of my favorite standards, a classic. Doris sings it beautifully.
 

Speaking of Moonglow, I can't resist including this famous version by Artie Shaw, the master of the clarinet....
 


But I digress. Here's more of the fabulous Doris Day...

Somewhere Over The Rainbow, Music by Harold Arlen; Lyrics by E. Y. Harburg  1939



Did I mention she can act? This scene is from my favorite movie of all time. Doris Day and Danny Thomas in "I'll See You In My Dreams," a film biography of the great lyricist Gus Kahn. Doris sings many Kahn standards in this movie, none better than this one...

The One I Love, Music by Isham Jones; Lyrics by Gus Kahn   1924


Here's Doris and Danny singing an unforgettable version of "Makin' Woopie!" from the same movie.

Makin' Whoopee!, Music by Walter Donaldson; Lyrics by Gus Kahn  1928

Here's Doris singing the title song... (By the way, this song was written the year my dad was born!)

I'll See You In My Dreams, Music by Isham Jones; Lyrics by Gus Kahn  1924

And, lest anyone think Doris has lost her charm, here is a cut from her latest top 10 album, "My Heart," which hit the charts at number nine this year in England.

My One And Only Love, Music by Guy Wood; lyrics by Robert Mellin  1952

Well, that's probably enough...for now. Good night.

No comments: